Monday, January 16, 2012

Day Two-Hundred-Thirty-Four, Angel Eyes

I was up and at 'em at eight o'clock, after only four hours' sleep.  I'd been up all night studying the writings of one Mrs. Ellen G. White.  She helped found the Adventist church.  I think she is seen as a prophet.  She preached the power of good nutrition.  Dr. J. Harvey Kellogg was her friend.  He thought masturbation was a very bad thing.  I think he was doing it wrong.

Good Seth made me a fine breakfast, waffles and tater tots.  And loaded me up with sandwiches and a great big baggie of snacks.  We fed the horses.  We chatted a bit.  He delivered me back up the road.  To the very spot where he first found me.  And I started walking again.

I made it all of a half a mile.  I still had typing to do.  I plugged in in the shade of a car wash.  It was a beautiful day.  There's a lot to be said for having clean hair.  I did not want to mess it up.  Mine is of the long and luxurient sort.  Think Farrah or Jaclyn Smith.  My clothes were laundered and I didn't stink.  I wanted to enjoy it for a while.

I started walking in earnest at one or so.  I was in no real hurry.  My feet were sore and my pack was heavy.  I was feeling pretty good.  It is easy to forget that it's January.  They do it so well down here.  It was a spectacular day for walking.  I didn't want to waste it by walking too far.

I had too some questions about my road ahead.  It had been a while since I'd looked at my map.  It seems like I've been in one big suburb since I hit Ocala, Florida.  Which can make camping a bit tricky.  Remember, I do have skills.  But it's a different approach than I have been used to.  I don't want to go to jail.

I do like walking in cities.  There are always things to see.  There are places to stop and plenty of traffic.  There's a good chance of getting squished.  My real worries are yet before me.  Go ahead, pull up your maps.

I am south of Leesburg, south of the lake, about even with Okahumpka.  Off Highway 27, tucked into the woods.  Let Google show you from space.  Zoom in a bit.  Zoom in a bit more.  See all those little blue dots?  Those, my friends, are what have me concerned.  There be dragons there.

I don't think they'll get me out on the road.  If I see one, I'll cross the street.  Which reminds me of my ninth favorite joke.  I'll share it with you now.

Why did the chicken stop crossing the road?
Because he was tired of all the jokes.

It speaks to the role of society in making up all of our minds.  There are more pressures on us than we realise.  I've escaped most of them.  But I still long for your approval.  I want to be well regarded.  But it may be too late.  I may be better off focusing on other things.

From here on I cross a swamp or two.  I don't want to be there at night.  I'm worried I might be eaten by gators.  I think it's a valid concern.

Notice I don't hate crocodiles.  I'm merely afraid of them.  We too often fail to make that distinction.  I wish them all long happy lives.  I quite admired Lee Van Cleef.  But I would not have wanted to meet him.

Snakes I hate.  Snakes are the devil.  I wish every snake would die.

And there are snakes out here too, or so I am told.  I haven't seen any for weeks.  Maybe the gators ate them all.  Alligators are our friends.


NO TWO OWLS make the same sound.  They like to distinguish themselves.  Some are shy, some are plaintive, some are spookier.  There's one outside my tent now.  He sounds like the banshee, only scarier.  I've never been so much afraid.

DR. KELLOGG believed circumcision could cure the "solitary vice."  I assure you he was quite wrong.

JOIN ME IN thanking Mr. Seth Dixon, boy, man, gent.  He is due to be married in June.  Let's wish him the very best.


Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.3

No comments:

Post a Comment