Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Day One-Hundred-Seventy-Three, Suspicious Minds

It was raining when I woke up, some minutes before sunrise.  There was lightning but no thunder.  Somewhere there was a tornado.  Nowhere near me, as far as I know.  I heard about it on the radio.  It was a quarter of a mile wide and injured fifteen people.

It rained gently and it rained hard.  Then it rained harder still.  I figured I may as well stay in my tent.  I had nowhere to be.  Walking in the rain is bad enough.  Packing up is much worse.  I put on some dry socks and listened to Nicholas Nickleby.

Which I've read a half-dozen times.  I've listened to it a dozen times more.  I was running out of water and I was getting a little bit bored.  And hungry but at least I was dry.  Not as dry as you might think.  Some water always manages to find its way into my tent.

As did a number of little red ants.  I murdered them to pass the time.  Which is not, I confess, what the Buddha would do.  Call it a weakness of character.  When I lived in India I'd kill hundreds of them every day.  I tried to get my lizards to eat them but they would not even try.

The rain did stop at nine or so.  It turned out to be a trick.  It waited until I took down my tent then opened up into a monsoon.  I don't use the term loosely.  I know of monsoons.  I have lived in monsoony lands.  In two minutes it soaked everything I own and me right down to my shorts.

Getting back out to the road was a trick.  The world had turned to mud.  Not that sissy Yankee mud either.  Here is the real thing.  Tenacious and gooey.  Each one of my shoes must have weighed fifteen pounds.  I was feeling just a little bit picked on as I clomped up the hill to town.

But the sky was pretty.  It was eerily warm.  The clouds were all aswirl.  And conspired with the fog in the southeast to look very much like a mountain.  A Cascade, specifically.  But I was not fooled.  Not for more than a minute or two.  This is Mississippi.

It was not an altogether unpleasant walk.  You can only get so wet.  And there was a summery smell in the air.  Town was but two miles off.  Okolona, to be specific, "A Certified Mississippi Main Street Community." 

Whatever that is supposed to mean.  There was a street called Main.  I clomped halfway down it looking for somewhere to eat and dry my bones.  No joy.  It was back to the highway.  I dined at the supermarket.

I had biscuits and grits and gravy and eggs and two chunks of fried baloney.  Which was salty as hell but I'm not complaining.  The whole meal cost me four bucks.  Five with coffee.  It was all good.  Those were my very first grits.  Which don't really taste like anything.  They're like bland tapioca pudding.  I put salt and pepper on mine.  I don't really know if you're supposed to.  I waited until no one was watching so as not to piss anyone off.

It stopped raining over breakfast.  I dried as much as I could.  And set out to walk as far as I could in a pair of squishy socks.  My shoes were cheap but they're not waterproof.  There was not much I could do about that.  Suffering, they say, builds character.  Blisters will make me a god.

I was headed, of course, for West Point, Mississipi, twenty-eight miles off.  With absolutely nothing between the two towns.  It's like being in Montana again.  And it had me a little bit intimidated.  I looked for alternate routes.  But nothing really leapt out at me.  I bought a sandwich to go.

And walked.  I guess it wasn't so bad.  I was stopped by the State Patrol.  It's been a while; I was overdue.  It still rather hurts my feelings.  I don't like being asked to explain myself.  It is not so easy to do.  And I'm sure there is something in the Fourth Amendment that says I don't have to show them ID.

I guess they have me on "unusual conduct."  My whole life's been conducted unusually.  But I still resent being run through their computer.  What happened to the Land of the Free?  I can see them pulling over to offer help.  I might need a foot rub or something.  But once I tell them what I'm doing they should be on their way.  But it takes Imagination to understand.  They're a fairly unimaginative bunch.

My pace slowed just a bit after that.  They'd gone and ruined my mood.  Walking Across America is a Great Thing to Do.  It pains me when people can't see it.  Driving a Winnebago or riding a Harley would make perfect sense to them.  If you want to be truly free from suspicion you need to have a fat ass.

I was outside the supermarket adjusting my pack.  Some fellows pulled up in a truck.  "Have you eaten?" they asked.  In fact I had but I knew just what they meant.  If they were Christians they didn't wear it on their sleeves.  They just wanted to make sure I was fed.  What a wonderful state, I thought.  I meet good people everywhere.  But I'm thinking now of cutting it short and heading for Alabama.

Or Arkansas.  Alabama, I think.  I keep mixing them up in my mind.  And I cannot be sure the cops like hobos any more on that side of the line.  But a night in jail would enliven this blog, and one hopes, pay for this trip.  I would insist on compensation.  I can hold a grudge.

I am still twelve miles from West Point, camped by a soybean field.  It is meant to be in the thirties tonight.  I'm fine if it doesn't rain.  Tomorrow will be cold indeed.  I'm just a little bit worried.  I draw the line at twenty-seven.  That's when I move back indoors.


"YOU AIN'T from around here."  I get that one a lot.

THE RETIRED preacher I met yesterday has eleven children.  "Being fruitful," he calls it.  He has too sixteen grandchildren.  "Do you know all their names?" I asked.  He assured me he did not.  Again quite without irony.  I expect he has them written down somewhere.


Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.1

4 comments:

  1. Hello James,

    We are cousins and I have never met you. Understand you were in Missouri not so long ago.
    Jack E Stewart is your Mom's half brother and my Dad. Beverly gave me the blog info and I can't thank her enough. You are very entertaining. Keep up the good work and be carefull out there.

    Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!! I was just checking in on you to see how you made out with the storms and I am happy to see you were not in the tornado parts :) I am wishing you well!! You should walk slower, I am going to miss reading your insights in life.
    Maybe one day our paths will cross again and we can take the time to chat about life over fresh coffee :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim, It's Bill Stewart, my sister say's you are related, don't care but you do write like my dad would have and fine it soothing, so I give you my name and now my email THEHARLEYDEALER@AOL.COM Not sure why I write it in caps and my kids say I'm yelling, I like that! When you find yourself with no ants to kill and with dry socks, maybe you could give me your email and talk some.With Respect, Bill Stewart

    ReplyDelete