Monday, December 12, 2011

Day One-Hundred-Ninety-Eight, Atheism

I spent all day Sunday in church.  God knows what you were up to.  No good, no doubt.   You are not without hope, but the time has come to repent.

Repent.

Church happens in the Knighten's livingroom.  It wasn't a very long walk.  From my soft bed.  I had to go there.  It was between me and the kitchen.  Which was full of all kinds of good.  Temptation, you may want to call it.  And a little churching ain't going to kill me.  It was more interesting than you'd guess.

For that we have to credit Dennis.  Deacon Dennis, if you prefer.  I have spoken for "Friar Dennis" but it has yet to catch on.  I have mentioned that the man is a lunatic.  I mean that in the nicest way.  He has got to be the most irreverent preacher I have ever seen at work.

It works.  He knows who he's talking to.  A lot of them he met in jail.  None of them are too awfully rich.  There are some problems there.  The odd zombie reference in the middle of a sermon keeps us all paying attention.

More or less.

I didn't much care for the singing part.  To know me is to know that I'm shy.  Unless you pour some liquor in me.  That did not seem the right way to go.  Dennis says we should forget ourselves.  He says it should be about God.  Nice theory.  Still I ain't going to sing.  I only hope God understands.

After church we ate some more.  Than I went out and played with the kids.  Who kicked and clawed and chewed on me.  What little treasures they are.  I got their ball stuck up in a tree.  As far as I know it's still there.

Eventually everyone went home.  That left me to talk with the Knightens.  Which I rather enjoy.  They are talkers too.  I've learned all about the Air Force and God. And criminal justice and ghetto life.  We do find plenty to say.  Fellowship, they may want to call it.  For me it was a pretty good day.


Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.1

1 comment:

  1. I resemble that remark. By the way, got another empty box in the mail today. I'll let you know if the real package arrives. And yeah, there are wild hogs around in sunny Florida too. Really almost forgot about them.

    Dennis

    ReplyDelete