Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Days 189, 190, 191 and 192, Kidnapped!

Kidnapped, yes.  Abducted, if you will.  Plucked right off the street.  Bundled into a late model car and driven across state lines.  In broad daylight, no less.  Mobile, Alabama can be a pretty rough town.

It amounted to a four-day holiday.  I had a very nice time.  As a guest of Ronné and Dennis Knighten.  They drove all the way from Florida.  And carted me all the way with them.  God knows what they had in mind.  I think they were trying to see how much I can eat.  I hope I did not let them down.

Friday morning I woke up cold, as cold as I've ever been.  In a briar patch, you may just recall.  Eight miles north of Mobile.  My tent was iced over inside and out.  I couldn't feel my toes.  My fingers were brittle and actively hurt.  It was an awful morning.

That improved somewhat when I got back on the road.  I had a good walk into town.  Up and down some steep narrow roads, carved through thick rows of trees.  To a Waffle House for luck.  Then to a Verizon shop.  And then to another.  I like to visit them all.  I think I owe it to them.

The second was a corporate store.  The other was a mere franchise.  I left with their promise to mail me a brand-new Samsung computer.  Or "like new," I think they call it.  Professionally refurbished.  Which is awfully nice of them.  We'll see how it all works out.

Then it was off to Florida.  I'd not met the Knightens before.  But was not too awfully frightened of them.  We've maintained a long correspondence.  Dennis has his own vague ideas about Walking Across America. 

And turned to me for friendly advice.  I regret that I've been useless to him.  But I am living proof that Anyone Can Do It.  Dennis is focused and energetic.  It should be a lot easier for him. 

I was more nervous about meeting his wife.  I know Dennis is a nut.  But for all I knew she might be stable.  I paid someone to trim my beard.  It was but a thin gesture but it did seem to work.  We got along just fine.  And now I have at least two new friends in Crestview, Florida.

They took me on the grand tour.  We drove slow past the prison.  And walked the white sands on the Air Force base.  We knocked on doors in the projects.  The Knightens are running a ministry.  They go where they're most needed. 

On Sundays they conduct a Bible study.  This week was the Sermon on the Mount.  I was up half the night studying.  I did not want to look like a fool.  But not so much was demanded of me.  We were all encouraged to sing.  I did not.  Self-consciousness is a burden, but it will serve the common good.

Most of the flock is fresh out of prison.  Or jail, as the case may be.  It is Dennis' ambition to keep them that way.  He works there as a guard.  And plays Barry White at strip search time.  He likes to make everything fun.

It does not handicap him as a preacher, though he can be hard on himself.  He is tireless and offers much clearer thinking than you hear in your typical church.  But he stiil loses me on divinity.  I don't think I'll too soon be saved.

But there was no pressure.  There was lots of food.  I met a man with gold teeth.  And a number of good-hearted little kids.  And when it was all over they drove me all the way back to Mobile, Alabama.

To pick up my walk where I left off.  I've been in a motel ever since.  Having failed to sleep or type my reports.  Call it another vacation.  I'll do my best to do better tomorrow.  I couldn't do very much worse.


THANK YOU, Good Knightens.  I had fun.  See you in another week.


Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.1

3 comments:

  1. Well you had me worried. I have followed you ever since i met you in Rosalie Nebraska. I ran out of my house and wished you well i am the Mayors wife/girlfriend, in the little town of Rosalie with the talking camera in the park that said you are trespassing ha ha. You take care glad you had a good time. God bless and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had a few of us concerned, but so good to hear you're doing well! I've been reading your blog since seeing you in Cody, Nebraska. I was the female truck driver on the road construction crew you passed by.(Basically in the middle of nowhere, but God's gorgeous contry none the less!) So good to hear the Knightens swooped you up instead of someone on "the dark side"! Happy and safe journeys as you continue on your way. God bless you and the Knightens!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am much flattered to think that anyone at all cared. At the same time, I am very sorry to have worried you. Thanks for tuning in. I'll do my best to survive.

    --james

    ReplyDelete