Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Birdsong

This would be a great adventure for a bird watcher. I am seeing new ones every day. I'll be damned if I know what to call any of them. I know some of them are hawks.

Since I left Wenatchee the most common seems to be a black bird with bright red on his wings. I've taken to calling him a red-winged blackbird and intend to copyright the name as soon as I get to town.

Today as I passed one sitting on a fence post he chirped at me most malignantly. So I chirped rght back at him, using the same intonation. And what do you think he did?

He let loose with the foulest string of curses you have ever heard in any language. That's the thing about birds. People think they're singing, that it's beautiful; Nature in all her glory. But if you understood you would know that all birdsong comes down to one of two things. It's either "My tree! My tree! Go 'way! Go 'way! Go 'way!" or "Hey, baby! Hey, baby! Hubba-hubba!" Or suggestions still cruder than that.

Birds are scum.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.1

3 comments:

  1. As I sit here right now in Scotland there is a bird singing it's heart out outside this room. She is telling me you got that wrong. They sing to let you know that God is with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose that's another way of looking at it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad called them red winged blackbirds when I was a little kid and we lived in Ann Arbor Michigan

    ReplyDelete