Sunday, June 5, 2011

Day Eight, Donner Pass

I am Here
Made or up and over Stevens Pass, in spite of my best efforts to fail. It seems last night I camped 5 miles shy of the summit, rather than the 8 I had suspected so that was a nice little surprise. At the top is a ski resort where I had very much hoped to find water, if not food, but everyone had gone home for the summer. It was abandoned. Like The Shining.

Which is not to say no one was there. Just about everyone driving by feels compelled to stop, at least for a moment or two. A fellow with a weenie cart could make a fortune up there. But after much searching I walked away without water or food.

Downhill, at least, God bless America, that was a nice little change. It is nice to have blisters and gaping wounds on your toes as well as on your heels. And I did meet a charming couple from Monroe whose truck had exploded pulling a camper up the pass. They had a good attitude about the whole thing and they gave me all kinds of water. I hope they're not still stuck up there. They all but saved my life.

I kept going from there, up a few stretches but mostly down all the way. There are rumors of a service station/minimart half way to Leavenworth, but I haven't found it yet. Pity really, because I am entirely out of food. Only one Hershey bar survived yesterday's frenzy. It was a largish sort of Hershey bar and I have eaten it now with great relish. I think I'll be able to replenish supplies here soon enough, but until then it is official. I am starving to death.

I am camped in front of abandoned cabin, twenty three miles from Leavenworth. I am certain it is quite full of snakes. I haven't seen any more bears but I can feel them watching me. I regret that in the last five days I have quite failed to note that I am in Bigfoot country. I expect they are watching me too. To the Very Nice Folks in the T-Bird Hotrod, Thanks, that hit the spot.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.9

6 comments:

  1. Help is on the way, I'm coming with some food this morning, Sunday, must be back home by 2 p.m. though.

    Lee in Duvall

    ReplyDelete
  2. Help is on the way sent homemade bread, fruit, peanut butter, jam and couple other things. sorry if I am repeaing myself not sure if it posted the first time. Lee left about 1/2 hour ago hope he finds you walking so he can find you to give you some of the items I put together for you. I baked the bread yesterday. enjoy..da da da Lee to the rescue. :)
    Happy Trials
    Polly (Pauline Lee's wife)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You won't know why I say this unless you check my latest blog post James but the two people from Monroe were right on time.
    I hope Lee's food got to you before a rival big foot did, I'll just have to wait and see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was there a Rose of some kind on the front of their truck?

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are the couple who's truck exploded a few miles east of Steven's Pass Summit. We did make it home safely. The tow truck picked us up around 3:30. We wish you would have mentioned you were low on food as we had a pantry that included crackers, cookies and we could have make a couple of bologna sandwiches to replenish your energy. For Ross Kelly, no there is no Rose on the front of our truck. We blew our engine pulling our travel trailer home from vacation in Wenatchee. Meeting you James gave us a smile and a laugh. As for the bear, in case any of you are doubting that James saw one, we noticed a small furry animal scrounging along side of the road that would have been the right size for a bear cub born this winter. We never did see the mother as it wandered back into the woods after sniffing around the road. Stay safe on your journey and remember to have a pint and a sausage at Gustav's in Leavenworth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for that info about no Rose, I just wondered because the Monroe connection that happened simultaneously with your meeting with James was very much connected to a Rose.
    You can see it on the synchronicity wins blog.

    ReplyDelete