Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Dear Mr. Super 8


Dear Mr. Super 8:

My name is James Harry Pierce and I am walking across America.  I left Tacoma in late May and have just now arrived at the Super 8 in Wenatchee, Washington.  I will pass through no less than a dozen states and am making friends everywhere I go.

And in addition to the wonderful people I meet on the road, there are more following my adventures on line.  You see, I am "blogging" about the things I see and the people I meet.  It is flattering that they have shown such interest.  And I don't take it lightly; I am at great pains to keep my blog entertaining and up to date.  I am delighted to note that even now, less than two weeks in, there are already close to one hundred people following right along.  I hope that number increases and I will make every effort to see that it does. 
In fact, let me take this opportunity to ask my new friends--they are reading this, too--to post links to my blog anywhere on the Internet they think one will stick.  Thanks guys.  It would mean the world to me.

Anyway, every successful blog needs some sort of unifying theme. I am not yet sure what mine is.  I had hoped to make it about the positive experiences I have staying at Super 8 motels.

But we don't always get what we want, do we?  For example, I, after ten days in a tent, barely washing and stinking like a chimp, I was very much looking forward to reaching Wenatchee and staying in a Super 8 motel. Reasonable as your rates are, on this year long adventure, this is a special luxury for me.  I looked forward to your clean, comfortable room, your complimentary coffee, your courteous staff, your cooling pool and your soothing spa.  And perhaps most of all, I was looking forward to doing my laundry.  You might say it was the one thought that carried me up and over the High Cascades, though I faced dangers on all sides.

But your washing machines were broken, weren't they?  Both of them.  The polite, efficient young man at the counter refunded my quarters and drew me a very nice map to a laundromat two miles away, but that isn't the same, is it?  If you think I object to a four mile walk in the hot Eastern Washington sun, you are missing the point.  I love a nice stroll, but today is my day off.  Even our Lord took a holiday, and He never had my blisters.

I wound up washing my clothes in the bathtub, an hour better spent by the pool.  Don't get me wrong; I got the job done, but not as easily or as well as I could have using one of those automatic machines you brag about in your brochures.  

I see you are expanding into China, God bless you.  It warms my heart to see American business thrive.  But I'd think twice before asking your good Chinese guests to wash their clothes in a tub.  It smacks, frankly, of racism.

Now I don't know what we can do to make this right.  It is all too fresh in my mind now.  I'll let you stew on it for a day or two before I turn to my new friends for answers.  I believe at the least some small refund is called for, but do not let us stop there.  Use your imagination.  It is free-wheeling, quick-thinking, fast-on-your-feet action that makes American business great.

Congratulations on all your success, God bless you, and God bless America.

Yours respectfully,
James Harry Pierce
jamesacrossamerica.blogspot.com
Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.4

8 comments:

  1. Polly said:

    Wow James reading this with such laughter,an acceptable next stop atSuper 8 should know in advance and be ready for you and have those machines up and running, second thought you might not be that far out yet Lee da da da to the rescue pick up wash and re deliver all folded. I feel for you scrubbing them in the tub at least with out a wash board which I used for so many years,until I was fortunate enough to have a gas operated machine so much on washing that can go into many more updates back too you; keep up the great writing look forward to each post and so enjoy your sense of humor. Thinking thinking there meals on wheels I'll sleep on it. I for one look forward too reading new posts. Lee started reading over my shoulder and laughing as well.

    Happy Trails

    Cheers
    Polly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lee said:

    I think you had them at "and I'm walking across America."

    ReplyDelete
  3. James I met you on the sidewalk in front of my home on Reith rd in Kent, Wa I was landscaping and taking a break when we had a little chat. it was your first day on your journey across America.It has been a couple of weeks and I see you are stil chugging away,well best of luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very pleased to hear from you, Mark. You were the first person to wish me good luck. It seems such a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I ran into you at in Skykomish as I was heading eastward on a bike. Good luck with the long climb up out of Wenatchee! (although it might actually be as bad on foot).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey James, Schooner Wharf for a spiked coffee breakfast is a very good way to say hello. Welcome to Key West! Christina

    ReplyDelete
  7. I for one honor your noble effort of hoof and blog, traveling nobly across this great continent with such pith and vigor, proving once and for all your way is the right way.

    I wronged you, and I'm sorry, but not to the extreme you think. I could have stolen the slide from your trombone...I didn't. You stole something from me. I'm the better man.

    Good luck on your journey, Pierce. I'm sad it ended this way.

    The guy who walked with saxophone

    DT

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very informative post. I really do hope and pray this stuff works.Thank you. Motel in IA

    ReplyDelete